“Whoever brings blessing will be enriched, and one who waters will himself be watered. The people curse him who holds back grain, but a blessing is on the head of him who sells it.” — Proverbs 11:25-26
We become child advocates to bless children living in extreme poverty and change their lives, but shortly after becoming a child advocate we realize we are the ones being blessed. In fact, research has shown that blessing other people tends to make you happy and, to back that up, we see many examples in the Bible of joy and peace sprouting from blessing others.
Once you become an advocate, chances are you’ll start to experience the following:
- Fulfillment | Becoming a child advocate brings you fulfillment unlike anything you’ve ever experienced. Just knowing that you’re changing a child’s life and encouraging them to walk with their heads high is enough to make your burst with happiness.
- Contentment | The more time you spend blessing your child, the more contentment you’ll gain with your own life. You’ll appreciate the little things.
- Perspective | As you get to know your child and learn about their life, you’ll begin to gain perspective on the issues you experience. The troubles we face here – like what to wear on a night out or what drink to get at our favorite coffee shop – are nothing like what the children you’ll advocate for face on a daily basis. Prior to coming to Wando these children lacked even the most basic necessities, including food and clean drinking water.
- Blessing | No, we’re not talking about material blessing. We’re talking about emotional blessing. You’ll get a little pep in your step and develop a more positive outlook on life.
- Happiness | As you’re making a difference in the life of a child you’ll beam with happiness and tell everyone you know about it so they can join in on the child advocacy bandwagon. You’ll create a domino effect, where everyone you meet will want to know how they can be a part of the Wando team. Just send them our way and we’ll get them set up!